Derby woe for 1's and glory for 2's

The 1st XI’s vice like grip on the local bragging rights was loosened yesterday with a 16 run defeat at the hands of Burnley.

Burnley pro Jon Harvey made an unbeaten 66 after House had Burnley rocking at 18-3 and then 67-5. Harvey received solid support from Mohammed Jamal  who scored 22, Steve Brunt, 15 and Graham Lalor an unbeaten 20, enabling Burnley to post  167-7. Aaron bowled 25 overs taking 6-53.

In reply Finchy hit 53 and Charlie 34, but wickets fell with  James Capstick  recording figures of 3-56 and  Bharat Tripathi 2-27.  Pro Harvey  chipped in with 2-25 as we stumbled to 116-9. A last wicket stand of 35 between Matt 23 not out and Jack 14 not out denied Burnley the vital bonus points.

In the 2’s House came out on top in a real thriller at Turf Moor.  Burnley’s box office batsmen, Michael Kelly (0), Danny Pickup (0) and Andy Beet (2) we are back in the tent with the score on 4.  Andy Lamb scored an unbeaten 60 and assisted by Amaad Hussain, 21 helped Burnley post 118 all out.  The Burnley innings was lit up by two outstanding catches, one from Jon Waite and another from Phil Haggerty.  Pick of the bowlers was Max Howells with 4-24.  Ryan Clegg and Paddy Martin shared 5 wickets with Kieron Tighe bowling a tight spell that deserved more than the one wicket he took.

In reply Lowerhouse suffered the early loss of Shields who was cleaned up by Mortimer.  Haggerty (43)  and Martin set about restoring the innings before Hagg was given out stumped to young off spinner Jonny O’Brien.  Adam Hope fell first ball, LBW to O’Brien as Lowerhouse stuttered on 53-3.  Max Howells and Paddy then dug in before Max was given out LBW to Michael Kelly who bowled a tight 14 overs.  Matt Stansfield and Paddy Martin then moved the score into the 80’s before Stansfield took a suicidal second run to Kelly and was run out.  In the same over Ryan Clegg took a single to mid wicket and in the process ran out Paddy Martin leaving House on 81-6.  The scoring dried up as Waite and Clegg dug in.  Waitey suffered his weekly injury, hit on the ankle by a Shorrock yorker and had to leave the field.

With the score on 104 and just 3 overs remaining Cleggy mis-timed an hook shot to mid wicket leaving House in trouble on 104 for 7. Enter Paddy Howley who scored a blistering 10 in one over off Shorrock to take the game away from Burnley before being adjudged LBW. 

With 5 runs required from 2 overs Shorrock bowled one in the skippers slot and he dispatched it over mid off for 4 to tie the scores.  Skip fell two balls later to a smart low catch from Kelly.  Going into the last over with the scores tied, last man Kieron Tighe “guided” one to short third man and Waitey made his ground to seal 12 points for the House who are now 7 points clear of Burnley in second place

You may also like...