Earlier in the week John Davis sent us in a photo of the New Tea Room in 1921. Anne Cochrane has managed to find the excerpt from the paper which gives more information. It’s here if you missed it.
Burnley Express 27th April, 1921
At Lowerhouse on Saturday, the match was preceded in the presence of a good company, by a pleasing little ceremony, the tea room being opened by Capt. Sherston who made an excellent little speech. A vote of thanks to the gallant Captain and the ladies was passed.
The tea room, a converted army hut, kindly given by Col. Dugdale, will supply a long felt want. A band of willing club workers have made a great transformation. The floor is carpeted, a number of tables at which 4 persons can sit have been provided and with paint etc., the place has been made attractive and cosy.
A bar has been erected. In the back portion large numbers can be accommodated at larger tables. The lady caterers on Saurday had a busy time.”
Capt. Sherston was Col. Dugdale’s brother in law, and was badly wounded in the war.
The Committee Report for season 1926 however states “We have had a new tea room erected, this building will be a great asset to the club, by having the tea room in a place of its own gives the Social Club members use of the full length of the army hut, before this alteration the club room was far too small for the members to obtain their refreshments in comfort.”
More space needed for beer – not like Lowerhouse…